Thailand’s commercial digital TV channels selects network operators
- February 13, 2014
- Posted by: Allan Rasmussen
- Category: Media and Broadcasting
Thailand’s digital TV channels has selected their network operators
All 24 commercial digital TV channels have each selected the network operators, from whom they will lease network for transmission of their digital TV channels launching April 1st this year.
The four state-run digital TV network operators are;
- Royal Thai Army TV5
- The Public Relation Department (PRD)
- Thai Public Broadcasting Service (Thai PBS)
The Public Relations Department has not been assigned to any of the commercial TV channels, as PRD will provide its network for the upcoming 12 public and community-based digital TV channels later.
Network operator: MCOT
MCOT will manage two variety HD channels, two news channels and one Children/Family channel.
- Channel 14: MCOT. (Children/Family channel)
- Channel 19: Springnews (News)
- Channel 21: Voice TV. (News)
- Channel 30: MCOT. (Variety HD)
- Channel 32: Triple V Broadcast Thairath TV (Variety HD)
Network operator: Thai Public Broadcasting Service (Thai PBS)
Thai Public Broadcasting Service (Thai PBS) will manage one variety HD channel, two variety SD channels, one news channel and two Children/Family channels)
- Channel 13: BEC-Multimedia (Children/Family channel)
- Channel 15: Thai TV. (Children/Family channel)
- Channel 17: Thai TV. (News)
- Channel 27: RS Television. (Variety SD)
- Channel 28: BEC-Multimedia. (Variety SD)
- Channel 33: BEC-Multimedia. (Variety HD)
Network operator: Royal Thai Army Radio and Television
The Royal Thai Army Radio and Television became the largest digital-network operator with 13 clients.
- Channel 31: GMM HD Digital TV (Variety HD)
- Channel 36: Bangkok Media and Broadcasting (Variety HD)
- Channel 35: Bangkok Broadcasting and Television Channel 7 (Variety HD)
- Channel 34: Amarin Television (Variety HD)
- Channel 24: True DTT (Variety SD)
- Channel 23: Thai Broadcast Workpoint TV (Variety SD)
- Channel 25: GMM SD Digital TV (Variety SD)
- Channel 26: Bangkok Business Broadcasting (Variety SD)
- Channel 29: Mono Broadcast (Variety SD)
- Channel 16: Thai News Network TNN24 (News)
- Channel 18: DN Broadcast Dailynews (News)
- Channel 20: 3A Marketing Bright TV (News)
- Channel 22: NBC Next Vision (News)
Network operator: Public Relations Department (PRD)
- None of the commercial Digital TV stations.
NBTC has reserved another multiplexer and will award license to 12 public and community based digital -TV channels for later this year. The network operator responsible for those public and community based TV channels will be allowed to offer 12 SD channels.
Network service design
Under the NBTC broadcasting committee’s options, each network operator will utilize its authorized bandwidth “multiplexer” to manage different formats. The network operators have four options available to design their network services.
- The first choice, determines that the network operators must manage six standard-definition (SD) channels and two high-definition (HD) channels.
- The second option is that they will be able to manage 12 SD channels for one single multiplexer.
- The third is that they can manage one HD channel and nine SD channels.
- The fourth is that they will be able to offer three HD channels and three SD channels.